South Dakota's LED street and yard lighting project
NorthWestern-owned streetlights will be replaced
yard lights will be replaced
Project completion date
What are the benefits of LED streetlights?
- Less energy - LEDs use 50% less electricity than traditional high-pressure sodium (HPS) lights.
- Reduced Light Pollution - NorthWestern is offering a full range of dark-sky-friendly LED options. With LEDs, the light can be better directed to where it is needed – on the street and adjacent sidewalks.
- Improved visibility - Old HPS lighting produces an orange-yellow light that does not render colors well. LEDs, on the other hand, output a fuller light spectrum that renders colors accurately.
- Lower operation costs - LEDs require less energy, and, because they are more efficient, they also last longer and need to be replaced less often than HPS streetlights.
- Improved safety and security - The new lights give increased safety at night through greater visibility and fewer streetlight outages.
lights will be replaced in 2022 and 2023
lights will be replaced in 2024
lights will be replaced in 2025
For more information about the project, please contact: