NorthWestern Energy Homepage
NWE Contact Bar, in Montana dial 1-888-467-2669, in South Dakota or Nebraska dial 1-800-245-6977

General Eligibility Requirements
To qualify for the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIEAP), you must need financial assistance for home energy costs and your household's annual income before taxes must not exceed income levels established by the various state offices, based on the current state median income and federal poverty levels. For more information about specific state requirements, please click the appropriate state.   

How to Apply
To find out whether you are eligible to receive LIEAP benefits and to apply for assistance, click on your state above to find contact information for your local LIEAP office.  

Documents to Take With You

When you apply, you should be able to provide:

  • Recent copies of your utility bills.
  • A recent payroll stub or other proof that shows your current gross income.
  • Documentation showing income from Social Security, Unemployment Insurance, Pension Funds, disability, etc.
  • Final Utility Termination Notice (if you've received a shut-off notice from your energy company).
  • Proof of present address (e.g., rent receipt, lease or deed, property tax bill).
  • Proof of total number of people living in your household (e.g., birth certificates, school records, etc.).
  • Social Security cards (or numbers) for all persons living in your household.
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship or permanent residence.


Contact Us | Terms of use | Glossary | PO Terms & Conditions | EEO | ©2016 NorthWestern Energy. All rights reserved.